Friday, November 05, 2004

That's Finally Over...

On the morning of the 3rd of November my platoon did an operation jointly with Iraqi security forces - both police and military. I won't (and can't) go into the details of that operation, but that's not the subject in any event. While we were doing our Army thing, we were receiving messages over the radio unrelated to the ongoing operation. Someone "at higher" (as in higher echelon of command) was passing blow-by-blow election updates to the units operating in sector. It was great to see American soldiers so involved. Most, of course, were rooting for the incumbent, but there were a few guys looking for a change in the White House. At one point I even had an ING (Iraq National Guardsman) ask me how it was going and who was winning. I'm not sure if he even knew who the other guy was besides Bush (they all, even the little kids, know who he is), but he was interested all the same.

When we returned to our temporary field-operating base (a more hellish patch of blight and neglect has never been glimpsed by man), I took a little break by sitting in the back of a Bradley and smoking. By that time news passed to us that Kerry had conceded. There was a palpable sigh of relief from everyone, and not just because most of the guys wanted Bush to win. I heard a few people mutter about how they were glad it was over so we could get back to work. I can say that I share that sentiment (I'm also overjoyed that there will be no 2000-esque recount). My unit has passed the halfway mark in our tour here, and we're ready to get on with business and get it over with. Now we can concentrate on the January election in Iraq, which I predict will be a circus of confusion and death, with me and the guys stuck right in the middle of it.

I'll really be able to relax when that election is over and done with.